It's OK Pauline, you're not the only who's not sure about BB creams. One of the most common questions I get asked in my job is: "What's a BB cream?" While most of us have heard of the term 'BB cream', a lot of people just aren't sure what a BB cream is and what all the fuss is about. Let me enlighten you, just a little.
So, what is a BB Cream?
The 'BB' in BB cream stands for 'beauty balm'. The concept behind a BB cream is that it is a skin correcting and perfecting product that improves the appearance of the skin and usually encompasses multiple products in one, e.g. primer, moisturiser, anti-ageing treatment, foundation and sunscreen, all in the one handy little bottle.
Priming, moisturisation & anti-ageing
Like all natural and organic skin care products, the best BB creams are those which include predominantly naturally derived ingredients. Additionally, quality BB creams should include hydrating and nourishing ingredients to moisturise and protect the skin against dryness. They can provide the ideal base for applying makeup too. Many BB creams also include antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that fight free radicals which can cause oxidation (think about a cut avocado turning brown). Free radical tissue damage can also lead to other signs of ageing like brown spots, lines and wrinkles. Inika Certified Organic BB Cream is packed with antioxidants and essential fatty acids to support your skin’s collagen layer. Some of the super hydrating and anti-ageing ingredients found in BB creams include:
- Aloe Vera Juice – anti-inflammatory; soothing and can assist with healing skin conditions like acne and eczema
- Argan Oil – hydrating and skin softening; also high in Vitamin E and fatty acids
- Jojoba Oil – anti-inflammatory, soothing and calming; nutrient and antioxidant rich; has very similar molecular structure to human sebum so is readily accepted and absorbed by the skin
- Avocado Oil – great source of antioxidants, essential fatty acids, minerals and vitamins; not just good when consumed through eating but also excellent for the skin
- Grape Seed Oil – high in linoleic acid which can be beneficial for oily skin & help reduce clogged pores
- Resveratrol – found naturally in the skin of red grapes and cocoa; skin calming properties; excellent for fighting the visible signs of ageing
- Vitamin E (also known as Tocopherol) – antioxidant properties to protect and heal the skin
One of our favourite anti-ageing BB creams is Andalou Naturals Perfecting BB Cream SPF30 – Natural Tint. This beautiful BB cream adapts to most skin tones and provides a natural looking sheer tint.
While BB creams can act as the perfect primer for your makeup, by providing a hydrated base on which to apply your foundation, they can also be worn on their own. This saves time by combining moisturisation and foundation application in the one step. The level of coverage with BB creams varies depending on the brand and product but it can range from sheer (Andalou Naturals Vitamin C BB Cream SPF30 – Sheer Tint) to full (La Mav Certified Organic BB Crème – Medium). Just like foundations, the colour in BB creams is achieved through iron oxides.
BB creams often come with built-in sun protection in the form of Zinc Oxide. This can provide UVA/UVB protection for your face from damage caused by everyday exposure to the Sun’s rays when you’re out and about doing your thing. Of course, if you plan to spend a reasonable amount of time in the Sun, you should opt for a dedicated face sunscreen. The level of SPF in BB Creams can vary anywhere from around SPF11 to SPF30. Not only does Zinc Oxide provide sun protection - it is also known for its calming and soothing effects on irritated skin. Of course, the zinc oxide should be non-nano.
So, there you have it. Hopefully, this article has removed some of the mystery surrounding BB creams for you. If your interest has been piqued, you can check out our range of natural and organic BB creams.