Facial cleansers are great for cleansing your face (amazing, right?) but when it comes to removing eye makeup, sometimes regular face cleansers just don’t cut it, like when you need to remove mascara, especially waterproof mascara. Plus, you need to be gentle with the delicate eye area.
Naturally Safe Cosmetics' guide to choosing the best eye makeup removers - organic and natural, of course
For organic eye makeup removal, the best options are those that make it easier to wipe the makeup off without excessive rubbing. Here are some of our favourite options:
- Simple As That Makeup Remover - with a truly simple formula based on only 3 oil ingredients (sunflower oil, extra virgin olive oil and jojoba oil), this makeup up remover is organic , fair trade & vegan and is perfect for taking off eye makeup
- Sante Eye Makeup Remover – a super gentle cleanser that includes jojoba seed oil, sweet almond oil, castor seed oil and sunflower seed oil. It easily removes all traces of your eye makeup and has a subtle fragrance
- Hanami Organic Lip & Eye Make Up Remover – another option made with 3 oils (sunflower oil, jojoba oil and rosehip oil) plus vitamin E, this one not only get rids of eye makeup, but it nourishes the skin and has anti-ageing benefits too
- The Jojoba Company Australian Jojoba for Face – in addition to being an excellent skin moisturiser, jojoba oil is an effective makeup remover, and the includes eye makeup. Your eyes will benefit from Jojoba's super hydrating and soothing properties
(image credit: iStock)
The perfect companion when using the above oils and dedicated organic makeup removers is a natural cosmetic pad like these:
- Simply Gentle Organic Cotton Cosmetic Pads - made from 100% organic cotton, these pads are convenient and easy to use. Tip: Try damping the pad a little with water before adding the oil. This helps to prevent the pad from soaking up all the oil.
- Ever Eco Reusable Bamboo Facial Pads - with a bamboo outer layer and cotton inner, these pads are perfect for removing all types of makeup, including eye makeup, with the added benefit of zero waste
Face cloths and face washers can, of course, also be used to remove eye makeup. Check out the Clemence Organic Luxurious Organic Bamboo Face Washer and the Black Chicken Remedies Muslin Face Cloths.
And, finally, the ideal organic eye makeup removal option when you’re in a hurry, out and about or travelling has to be facial wipes ‘preloaded’ with gentle, yet effective, cleansing ingredients. Wotnot Facial Wipes are free from petrochemicals, parabens and artificial fragrances and are excellent for removing eye makeup in addition to cleansing your entire face. Pop a pack in your handbag and you're good to go. They’re available for oily/combination skin, sensitive skin and aging/dry skin.