Facial cleansers are great for cleansing your face (amazing, right?) but when it comes to removing eye makeup, sometimes regular face cleansers just don’t cut it, like when you need to remove mascara, especially waterproof mascara. Plus, you need to be gentle with the delicate eye area.
Naturally Safe Cosmetics' guide to choosing the best eye makeup remover - organic, of course
For organic eye makeup removal, the best options are those that make it easier to wipe the makeup off without excessive rubbing. Oils are excellent at doing just that. Two of our favourite oils for removing makeup are:
- Jojoba Oil – not only is jojoba oil an effective eye makeup remover but it also has the added benefit of being super hydrating and soothing, which makes it ideal for the eye area. We recommend a 100% natural jojoba oil like this one from The Jojoba Company.
- Coconut Oil – we know coconut oil is a healthy and delicious alternative to oils commonly used in cooking and we know it’s also a great skin moisturiser and hair conditioner. But coconut oil is a fantastic makeup remover and that goes for eye makeup too. It easily melts on the skin to dissolve makeup so you can then quickly swipe it away. Check out Niugini Organics Virgin Coconut Oil.
When it comes to products dedicated to eye makeup removal, you can’t go past these two items which, by the way, are each made up of a combination of oils:
- Sante Eye Makeup Remover – a super gentle cleanser that includes jojoba seed oil, sweet almond oil, castor seed oil and sunflower seed oil. It easily removes all traces of your eye makeup and has a subtle fragrance
- Inika Certified Organic Makeup Remover – made with only 3 oils (sunflower, jojoba and rosehip) plus vitamin E, this one not only get rids of eye makeup, but it nourishes the skin and has anti-ageing benefits too
- Simple As That Makeup Remover - another 'simple' formula with 3 oils (sunflower, extra virgin olive and jojoba), it's also fair trade & vegan
The perfect companion when using all of the above oils and dedicated organic makeup removers is an Organic Cotton Cosmetic Pad from Simply Gentle. Just dampen the pad and swipe away. Tip: We find that wetting the pad with water, squeezing out the excess, then applying the oil or eye makeup remover to the pad works really well. It stops the pad from soaking up all the oil.
And, finally, the ideal organic eye makeup removal option when you’re out and about, on the run or travelling has to be facial wipes ‘preloaded’ with gentle, yet effective, cleansing ingredients. Wotnot Facial Wipes are free from petrochemicals, parabens and artificial fragrances, these biodegradable face wipes are super handy not just for cleansing your face but also for removing eye makeup. They’re available for oily/combination skin, sensitive skin and aging/dry skin.