As seen on Channel 10's 'The Living Room' Hot or Not Segment - of course they were HOT!
90+ washloads - approx. 18c per wash - includes 2 cotton wash bags
Looking for a natural alternative to traditional, chemically-laden, laundry detergents and fabric softeners? Then look no further than That Red House Organic Soapberries.
What are soapberries? Sometimes referred to as 'soapnuts', these are in fact a fruit of the Sapindus Mukorossi tree, grown in several different regions around the world, but most prevalent in the Himalayas. These certified organic soapberries are harvested from wild trees in the pristine Himalayan mountains of Nepal by small local communities. The shell of the fruit is collected, dried and packed for use. It is exceptionally high in 'saponin' which is, of course, nature's soap. This saponin content reduces the surface tension of the water so it will remove dirt and leave fabrics soft and clean.
Soapberries are suitable for use in both top and front loader washing machines.
The benefits of using these organic soapberries include:
- Soapberries are raw, completely chemical free, grey water safe, septic tank safe, biodegradable, fully compostable and waste free - making them better for you and the environment.
- No pesticides, fertilisers or chemical treatments have been used in the growing or storing process of these soapberries - they are 100% natural and organic.
- Being odourless and hypo-allergenic, soapberries are suitable for those with allergies or sensitive skin, and gentle enough for babies and children.
- Soapberries are naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- These soapberries are 100% sustainable and their use ensures that deforestation is reduced in the Himalayas.
- Soapberries are economical - they are re-usable and eliminate the need for fabric softeners. They leave no residue on the fabrics, so they can be used without activating the rinse cycle, saving water. Compared to conventional washing powders, they can save you a great deal over the course of a year.
- The soapberries can be used in other areas of the home too. In addition to using them as a natural laundry detergent, they can be used as a shampoo, hand wash, body wash or household cleaner.
To use soapberries in the laundry:
- Simply add 5 whole shells to the provided wash bag and double tie the top, then toss it in the washing machine . . . that's it!
- Each set of shells will do approximately 5 wash loads, depending on water temperature and wash cycle, etc. The colder the water, the longer the berries will last.
- For a faster release of the saponins in the berries, use a warmer setting or soak your small bag of soapberries in hot water for 5 minutes before throwing them into the washing machine.
- If you like, you can add 4-5 drops of your favourite essential oil to add fragrance to your wash - That Red House Laundry Tonic is made with 100% pure essential oils of Sweet Orange, Blue Gum Eucalyptus and Spike Lavender and is perfect for adding a fresh fragrance to you clothes.
Versatile soapberries can also be used in other ways around the home:
- You can make a potent multi-purpose liquid by boiling approximately 10 whole shells per litre of water for 15-20 minutes, and use the liquid for anything from a shampoo to a cleaner. Click here for more details and recipes.
That Red House Certified Organic Soapberries are harvested from wild trees in the pristine Himalayan mountains of Nepal, by small local communities. By purchasing this product, you are supporting the 'Grow Nepal' initiative which creates a future for the Nepalese people, as well as encouraging sustainable practices across the planet.
Certified organic by international certification body Ecocert and USDA | Vegan | Cruelty Free